I am an assistant professor in the Department of Journalism, Media Studies and Public Relations at Hofstra University where I teach advanced online journalism in the undergraduate and graduate program.
My research agenda explores the intersection of social media in journalism practice and curriculum and I have presented my work at national and regional journalism conferences in the U.S., Canada, Ireland and Scotland. I also contribute to Poynter, the leading journalism foundation in the U.S. and Education Shift from the team behind PBS MediaShift.
In 2010, I founded Hofstra’s award-winning students news site, Long Island Report. I am also the founding editor of IrishCentral. com, the industry-leading U.S.-based Irish web site that was launched in March 2009.
With more than 25 years of senior editorial experience in both print and online media, I have also created created websites and social media strategies for news sites like the original web space for the Irish Voice newspaper and Irish America magazine and also non-profits such as the Rory Staunton Foundation, the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform and the Irish charity GOAL.
During my print career I worked at international newspaper titles including the Australian Financial Review (Fairfax) and Sydney Telegraph (News International) in Sydney, and the Sunday Independent, Irish Independent and Evening Herald (all Independent News and Media) in Ireland.
- Why Gruppo Espresso built a publishing 'playground'
- Tip: Get email alerts for other Twitter accounts
- Inside Storyful's revamped newswire service
- Social content - getting your material liked and shared
- #Tip: How to use BuzzSumo to monitor social analytics
- How Trinity Mirror's data team developed their WWI search tool
- Lessons in creating a buzz on social media from BuzzFeed
- Why the Oxford Mail is experimenting with WhatsApp