I am an assistant professor in the Department of Journalism, Media Studies and Public Relations at Hofstra University where I teach advanced online journalism in the undergraduate and graduate program.
My research agenda explores the intersection of social media in journalism practice and curriculum and I have presented my work at national and regional journalism conferences in the U.S., Canada, Ireland and Scotland. I also contribute to Poynter, the leading journalism foundation in the U.S. and Education Shift from the team behind PBS MediaShift.
In 2010, I founded Hofstra’s award-winning students news site, Long Island Report. I am also the founding editor of IrishCentral. com, the industry-leading U.S.-based Irish web site that was launched in March 2009.
With more than 25 years of senior editorial experience in both print and online media, I have also created created websites and social media strategies for news sites like the original web space for the Irish Voice newspaper and Irish America magazine and also non-profits such as the Rory Staunton Foundation, the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform and the Irish charity GOAL.
During my print career I worked at international newspaper titles including the Australian Financial Review (Fairfax) and Sydney Telegraph (News International) in Sydney, and the Sunday Independent, Irish Independent and Evening Herald (all Independent News and Media) in Ireland.
- Tip: Learn how to create a virtual reality data visualisation
- 'When you're using Twitter to find witnesses, treat it like a door knock'
- Tip: Find out when a photo was shared on Instagram
- Hacks/Hackers launches program for media entrepreneurs
- Success on social media is all about 'speaking to the heart'
- Tip: Learn how to use WhatsApp as a reporting tool for events
- Tip: Boost your articles on social media with these meta tags
- How Periscope is 'redefining the live experience'