I’m an assistant professor in the Department of Journalism, Media Studies and Public Relations at Hofstra University where I teach social and online journalism in the undergraduate and graduate program.
My research agenda explores the intersection of social media in journalism practice and curriculum and I’ve shared my work at journalism conferences in the U.S., Canada, Ireland and Scotland. I also contribute to Poynter and Education Shift.
With more than 25 years of senior editorial experience in both print and online media, I have also created created websites and social media strategies for news sites like the original web space for the Irish Voice newspaper and Irish America magazine and also non-profits such as the Rory Staunton Foundation, the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform and the Irish charity GOAL.
During my print career I worked at international newspaper titles including the Australian Financial Review (Fairfax) and Sydney Telegraph (News International) in Sydney, and the Sunday Independent, Irish Independent and Evening Herald (all Independent News and Media) in Ireland.
- Ombuds: Using Bitcoin to make online messages 'immutable'
- First speakers announced for news:rewired 'in focus' event on newsgathering and verification
- Quality over quantity: How to make LinkedIn work for you
- 'OMG! I have to tell you!' – The social science of sharing
- NPR releases open source social media tools for newsrooms
- Tip: Learn how to create a virtual reality data visualisation
- 'When you're using Twitter to find witnesses, treat it like a door knock'
- Tip: Find out when a photo was shared on Instagram