This is a curated list of public-facing social media policies available in Australia; Britain; Canada; Italy and the U.S. It is also a work-in-progress and updates will be tweeted as I add more guidelines.
*The guidelines must be available online to be included*
ABC Australia Exhaustive and excellent.
Agence France Presse Seems outdated on the separate accounts information but some good advice on security.
The Associated Press Exhaustive and excellent – particularly on retweets. Bookmark.
BBC Britain In a nutshell: “Don’t be stupid.”
BuzzFeed First policy here to list a “selfie” section.
CAJ Canada One for the NUJ, SPJ, MEAA, EPMU etc to emulate.
CBC Canada More about damage to the brand than a guide for journos.
ESPN Must for aspiring sports journos.
LA Times Last updated 2009.
NPR Guidelines Comprehensive and clear.
PRISA, Spain. In Spanish
Reuters Some English humor in this doc!
RTDNA V good but could do with update.
Washington Post Great resource.
- 10 apps and tools for monitoring a location or local patch
- 5 tips for publishers from Pinterest
- App for journalists: TwitShot, for attaching Twitter images from links
- 7 tips for journalists managing Google+ Communities
- Tip: Remember this advice for live-tweeting risky situations
- Tip: Check out this analysis of an engaging tweet
- Tips for live coverage of breaking news from the BBC and Reported.ly
- Advice for journalists on dealing with online abuse